A working environment should always be kept clean and tidy. If your office is always messy, rest assured your working morale will suffer. Moreover, office furniture can be a host to different types of bacteria. In case you are wondering where these bacteria come from, think about the times you have had to eat lunch or drink coffee at your desk. The germs build up from these kinds of activities.
However, you can easily keep your office fresh and tidy by sticking to a thorough cleaning schedule. The right cleaning solution should not leave any area of your office unattended. Whether it’s the reception area, the lobby or the conference room, it should remain clean and presentable. Remember, how you maintain your office speaks volumes about your organization.
So, what should a full office cleaning routine entail?
Due to the daily activities that take place in an office, it is important to have it cleaned and checked before opening the doors every morning. A daily cleaning routine should address the lobby, reception and conference room because these sections are used most frequently. The list below should be used as your cleaning checklist to ensure that the proper cleanliness standards have been met.
Daily Office Cleaning Routine Tasks:
- Ensure that all the office trash cans have been emptied and their liners replaced. The trash removed should be taken to the designated collection point.
- If your office has a carpet, it should be vacuum cleaned to prevent dirt and dust build up.
- Dust has a habit of gathering in places that are not easily accessible and also settle on horizontal surfaces. Therefore, all the horizontal surfaces should be dusted.
- Files, chairs, windowsills, and all types of furnishings should not be left out.
- Coffee rings and other forms of sticky substances are common on desk surfaces. For this reason, it is imperative that damp wiping cloths be used to remove the dust that accumulates every day.
- It is very easy to ignore telephones. Nevertheless, a telephone is frequently used and accumulations of most germs. This can be counterproductive to keeping employees healthy. Offices with dirty phones have a higher number of workers calling in sick. See to it that all the telephones in your office are cleaned on a daily basis.
- Hard surfaces floors get the most dirty, given that people step on them every day with shoes that carry all forms of dirt. These surfaces should be dust mopped with a treated dust mop.
- Floors are easily soiled by the spillage of different liquids. This makes them sticky and messy. Damp mopping with the proper sanitizing solution is the most suitable way to clean hard floor surfaces. It should be done on a daily basis to avoid a notorious build up.
- Employees, as well as those who visit your office, are likely to leave fingerprints on the entryway, especially on glass surfaces. The entryway should be regularly damp wiped and the fingerprints wiped off.
- Most offices are partitioned with glass. The glass easily spots whenever touched. Daily spot- cleaning is a necessity.
- After the daily cleaning routine, an inspection should follow to make sure that no area has been left unattended.
- Switches, door handles, and door frames should be wiped to remove fingerprints.
Restroom Cleaning Duties:
- Every office needs a clean restroom. These are some of the things you should pay attention to when it comes to restroom cleanliness.
- The office restroom should be stocked with clean towels, hand soap, and tissues at all times.
- The trash bins should be emptied and wiped with an appropriate disinfectant.
- Ensure that the mirrors are cleaned and polished.
- Urinals and toilets are very sensitive in terms of hygiene. They should be wiped and sanitized both inside and out.
- A disinfectant should be used to clean the toilet seats and their covers to ward off germs.
- The basin should be carefully scoured and sanitized. This should be finished with bright polish work.
- Splash marks should be wiped from the walls as well as the basins to avoid permanent staining.
- The office’s restroom floors should be mopped, disinfected and dried.
Lunch Break Cleaning
Some of the daily office cleaning activities should be repeated in the lunch or break room. These includes:
- Mopping the lunch break room & kitchen floors.
- Emptying trash cans.
- Wiping counter tops and tables & desk surfaces.
- Clean up the inside of microwaves and fridges to avoid any odor and bacteria build-up.
- Wash any left over dishes.
- Clean up coffee machine.
- Stock up on utensils, cups, napkins.
- Ensure place is always clean, disinfected, and inviting for employees.
Weekly Cleaning Tasks:
For some offices, it is not possible to reach all areas in an office that requires cleaning on a daily basis. However, some of these tasks can be accommodated to a be done once a week:
- Wipe down baseboards.
- Dust window ledges, tops of partitions and other low reach areas.
- Dust and remove debris from metal entrance thresholds.
- Remove spots from carpeted areas.
- Spot clean walls for marks and smudges.
Monthly Cleaning Tasks
- All upholstered furniture should be vacuumed.
- Dust high reach areas including shelves, ledges, vents, and HVAC grills.
- Dust venetian blinds.
- Remove cobwebs.
- Vacuum upholstered furniture.
Benefits of maintaining a clean office environment
- Enhanced efficiency: A messy office is known to interfere with the employee’s performance. It is distracting and unbearable. Furthermore, sometimes an employee may waste a lot of time looking for something in the office that is hidden in the clutter. Office cleanliness goes a long way in ensuring efficiency.
- Reducing stress: Working can be stressful. More so in an untidy office. A clean office gives the employees a much needed peace of mind as they go about their work.
- Impression: A neat office makes a good impression on clients or any other person who might come in it for work related reasons.
Contact Vanguard Cleaning Systems of the Triad to see how we can help develop a comprehensive daily, weekly, and monthly cleaning checklist that will keep your office clean and looking good at all times.